Matariki is the beginning of the Maori New Year, a chance for us all to reflect on the past, and look to the future. The Pleiads or Te Iwa o Matariki is best seen from locations without electric lights etc from places such as Golden Sand at Cable Bay. Check out how to find Matariki in the youtube video below.
The stars that make up the Pleiads or Te Iwa O Matariki are:
- Matariki – signifies reflection, hope and our connection to the environment
- Pōhutukawa – connects with those who have passed on
- Waitī – ties to bodies of fresh water and the food within it
- Waitā – ties to the ocean and the food within it
- Waipuna-ā-rangi – associated with the rain
- Tupuānuku – is for food that grows within the soil
- Tupuārangi – is for food that grows up in the trees
- Ururangi – is the star associated with the winds
- Hiwa-i-te-rangi – the youngest, is the wishing star that also ties into our aspirations for the coming year
Come and stay to find the stars and enjoy star cookies and hot chocolate. We also have a telescope you are welcome to use.
To make things easier for you we offer a Matariki rate for 2 people Stay 3 nights and pay only for 2. Valid from June 21 to July 04 2020. Extra person only $20 per person per night. Free wifi. Offer not valid with any other offers. Only valid for bookings made direct with Golden Sand Beachfront Accommodation ie through our booknow page. Thanks.